The history of Seethalakshmi Ramaswami College is the history of materialising
the noble vision of its great founder Padmabhushan Sri. N. Ramaswami
Ayyar. Committed to the cause of empowerment of women through education
in the background of Indian tradition, culture and values, way back in
1930s, he gave up his lucrative legal practice and laid the foundation
for a girls' elementary school, Savitri Vidyasala, in 1938.
As a natural
step in the vertical development of his dreams, in 1951, Seethalakshmi
Ramaswami College came into being, with a meagre strength
of 11 students and 13 teachers. In 1957, the institution grew into a
full-fledged first grade college offering three B.A and B.Sc. degree
courses. With the introduction of M.Sc. Mathematics programme, in 1963
the college was upgraded as a post-graduate institution.
The 1980s witnessed
the college blooming into a centre of higher learning and research when
M.Phil and Ph.D programmes were started in various
departments. In recognition of the commendable service rendered by the
institution, the status of autonomy was conferred on the college in 1987,
which, in turn has enabled the institution to offer innovative and socially
relevant courses that cater to the changing academic and professional
demands of the younger generation. As a pre-requisite to becoming a deemed
university -- the cherished dream of its founder -- the college was accredited
by NAAC in 1998 (One of the FIRST seven colleges in the whole of the
country to be accredited by NAAC).
With an aim to attain excellence in
the field of education, the academic programmes offered by the college
are constantly assessed and revamped
to suit the changing social scenario and growing professional demands
of the students.